Tuesday 16 July 2013

Paris Fashion Week A/W 2013: My favourites



Ulyana Sergeenko is becoming one of my favourite designers. I adore her amalgam of traditional Russian folk style, with extra luxurious, elegant touches. I do not advocate the use of fur, but (wishing it was fake), Sergeenko uses it so flawlessly, again - and sticks firmly to Russian tradition, where fur coats and hoods are always worn in the ice cold winters.
My mother is Russian herself (making me half Russian!) , and she too adores her designs.
It has been said many times as Sergeenko has gained more popularity - her pieces are often described as 'fairy- tale like', and I have to agree with this statement. Looking at the pictures of some of the white gowns transport me into a world of Princes,  magic and dances.

The high collar and long, black sleeves feel very Victorian. I love the hold-ups that make this feminine and add a provocative touch.

The models were made to look as if they were crying (or perhaps some could fake tears, I don't know). my interpretation of this is that Ulyana is trying to convey that life in Russia is hard. The headscarf, is also traditionally worn by Russian women in villages.  There is a contrast in her designs that are much more extravagant, featuring richer fabrics, lace,  fur, black and white colours, compared with some other pieces which are more simple but still gorgeous.
.
 I like the sleeves here.


Ellie Saab I feel like with Ellie Saab, the same things are churned out, over and over, in different colours with every show, with minute changes made. It can get very boring,  but there are a few gems. These are two dresses that I liked.

Versace. This black dress is beautiful, sexy and classy - there's not a single detail of this dress that I don't like. The caged bralet is very 90s Gianni Versace, plus the shoulders and shape of the dress are so flattering.



I feel like it's worth mentioning Valentino: I liked almost everything, except the colours! For some reason, I have an aversion to the golds, beige and light earth hues paired with black.
Nothing extraordinary, but I like the lace detailing.

Zuhair Murad It has been a great task to narrow it down to three favourites for this designer:
My inner goth is screaming.



Lovely peplum, colour and structure.

So: those were a selection of some of my favourites from Paris Fashion Week: I know I am a bit late in writing this post, but as it is my first of my blog it seemed to be a topic to write about that came to mind.
What were some of your favourite pieces? Or disappointments? Let me know!






No comments: